Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Day Off

FINALLY!!!! I had a day off. It was wonderful. I've been fixing up a really old rubber raft before and after work this last week. This raft is so so so old. My dad bought it I think about 17 or 18 years ago for $200, which was a song then. The guy selling it was retiring it. It was worn out then. My family and I used it and used it on the rivers around here, especially the stretch of the Snake River between Hoback Junction and Alpine, WY, where all the whitewater is.

About 6 or 7 years ago, Mom & Dad decided they were through rafting. The boat was so old and full of holes, they were going to throw it away. But, they offered the boat to us, saying if I can make it sea-worthy, it's ours. We were living in Boise at the time. I put a lot of work into it, patching it up, and so forth. We floated the Payette River, the Boise, and the Snake with it. But, it still leaks in spite of my best efforts.

We haven't had the boat out in a couple of years (too busy, it leaks, etc.) But, I thought I'd like to work on it again this week. I did some research and got the idea that paint-on truck bed liner could help patch up some holes. I tried it and...it worked! YAY!

We decided to float the whitewater stretch for my 1st day off in almost a month. But, due to circumstances beyong my control, we weren't able to go. Intstead, I fixed up an old rowing frame with a little help from my brother and a lot of help from my wife and a super lot of help from my dad. I got some oars for it, and got a little electric trolling motor off ebay. We packed up the kids and my brother and his kids joined us.

We floated down the Snake River from Beaver Dick Park to Menan. It was extremely slow moving water, so we were very glad to have the rowing frame and motor. But, the kids had a great time, and so did we. I had no idea how beautiful that country back in there is! We were the only outfit on the river. We saw several deer, a moose, several bald eagles, several golden eagles, and lots of water fowl. The trip was seriously amazing (with the exception of the swarms of mosquitos). That is probably the most beautiful stretch of river I've ever been on.

By the time we got out (it was about a four hour trip), the boat had lost some air. But I know how to fix it, and I think it will be better than ever soon.

I was rowing when we got to the take-out boat ramp. We almost missed it, so ElGirlo jumped out to pull the boat in. The water was very cold and over her head. Also, the slow-moving Henry's fork had already merged with the fast-moving South fork, so the river was swift. It took Pam by surprise. But then, our two-year-old ElKiddo jumped in after her! He had been begging to get in the water all day. The current started sweeping him downstream. Very scary!!! But, a quick-thinking ElGirlo caught him. I think no one was more shocked than ElKiddo. He didn't expect how cold that water would be. I'm just so glad he's safe! We had already had a close call with my brother's oldest when she was swimming and ended up underneath the boat. Scary.

But, in all, we had a great day.

2 comments:

Rochelleht said...

What would an outing in this family be without the equipment breaking and several people almost dying? I expect nothing less from us.

ElGuyo said...

That's exactly what I thought! In fact, I told ElDusto that it turned out to be a typical ElFamilia outing.